Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fabulous Antique Doll Collection

Being in this business we get calls all of the time from collectors wanting to sell their collections. As always, they say they have no idea what they want for them. So, we take the time to go--look--research--and make an offer. All of this knowing that we may be sitting on the merchandise for a while. This particular time, the entire collection of dolls was for sale. I made what I thought was a very generous offer. Some of the dolls were nice, some had issues., but I loved them and really wanted them. I didn't even get a second chance. This particular owner said they'd get back to us. And, you guessed it---they never did. So, after you enjoy the pictures, I'll tell you what happened to these beauties. Enjoy!!!












So, now that you've seen them, you can imagine what a great display could have been made. So after weeks went by, still nothing, I found out they had been sent to auction. Gee, thanks alot for letting us know. Anyway, as luck would have it, I couldn't go to the auction, but a friend of ours did. He bought a couple of the dolls. He also said that they were selling cheap. The way I figured, according to the estimate from the friend that attended, after the auction house kept their commission, the owner received probably about 40% of what I offered. Too bad for them, I bet they thought so too. And as always more dolls will come along. They already have--from 3 different places so when I put them together--I'll do another post and let you see!
Better go for now,
Until next time,
Pam











1 comment:

  1. Hey Pam,
    I'm sorry about the collection. Things like this used to really bother me, then I realized, there's always more stuff. I try not to get attached, before I purchase, I hate being dissapointed. People are always being offered advise from family and friends, and auctioneers, who are in hopes of getting a good collection, as a 'draw' for their sale. Most 'normal' people, don't have a clue, and listen to 'so called experts'. Unfortunatley, it is their loss.
    I find when I lose out on a deal, like this, if I handle it with grace, it seems like wondrful, even better stuff, falls right in my lap...
    So Smile, Grace...
    Barb C.

    ReplyDelete